Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fluid Motion Music & Entertainment

flu·id  
/ˈflo͞oid/


Noun:

A substance that has no fixed shape and yields easily to external pressure; a gas or (esp.) a liquid.
Adjective:


(of a substance) Able to flow easily: "the paint is more fluid than tube watercolors"; "a fluid medium".
Synonyms:


noun.  liquid - liquor


adjective.  liquid - fluent - flowing - runny
[Merriam-Webster]


Fluid. An East Bay native with a fierce rap game who is linguistically gifted at the art of hip hop mind mazes taking you on a rap twist that brings back old school flavor with a twist of Fluid intellect. 

I'm in BevMo with Fluid as we debate over our drink of choice for the night as we settled in going over his Generation Famous blog questions and reminiscing about the early days of rap in the Bay.

We are in a debate over having warm Sake, lightly toasted or just having cold Amstel Lights. We had just finished doing his photo shoot down on Market Street in San Francisco. He was amazing, as usual. He gave an impromptu CD listening party at the corner of Van Ness and I was feeling his vibe. I could hear the influences of E-40 and a slew of West Coast rappers sprinkled throughout his music, just as it should be since the Bay has so many talented rappers that have been catalysts in the rap game: Tupac Shakur, San Quinn, JT the Bigga Figga, Rappin' 4-Tay, Equipto, MC Hammer, Mob Figaz, Dru Down, Mac Dre, Master P, Yukmouth, Defiant, Mr. Kee, Andre Nickatina, Melly, Timex Social Club ( I bet you didn't know that ), and many more. Fluid definitely has to hit it, and hit it hard, if he is representing the Bay!

It's time get to know this talented man straight from his own words.

Oh yeah, we settled on the Sake. 

I was born in 1976 in Oakland, CA.
I discovered rap in elementary school and was immediately smitten.  By the time I reached middle school I was a diehard rap fanatic and began experimenting with writing and performing my own rap songs. By the time I reached high school I had completely immersed myself in rap and hip hop culture adopting several monikers. I participated in several talent showcases, including KMEL’s infamous Battle Of The Rappers and actually won several nights in a row. From that point on a series of events took place that slowly but surely pushed me toward my musical destiny. After a few more years I adopted the stage name, Fluid, and have been making history ever since.


Were there any musicians you listened to as a kid that made you want to follow in their footsteps?

As a kid I listened to everyone from Stevie Wonder to Run DMC. I was always surrounded by music, or people who could sing or dance. My aunt played piano and would let me sit with her when she played around the house. I was also a member of the Children’s Choir at church and took piano lessons.  A few of my biggest influences were Run DMC, EPMD, Bobby Brown, Too Short, Snoop Dogg, and LL Cool J.

When did you catch the rapping bug? Do you write your own lyrics?

I first caught the rapping bug at age 13 during my eighth grade year at Alvarado Middle School (Union City, CA). I was given a poetry assignment by my eighth grade English teacher and decided to rap the poem in front of my class for fun. The “performance” was met by a standing ovation and praise from the entire class and surprisingly the teacher as well. The next day many of my classmates began asking me to write and perform raps during our lunch and break times and to this day I still write all my own lyrics.

What artists/rappers/songwriters have had a major impact on your style?

Scarface (Geto Boys), Too Short, Snoop Dogg, LL Cool J, Nas, EPMD, Redman, Method Man, 2Pac, & Tha Dogg Pound have all had major influences on my style. I’ve followed them for many years and paid close attention to both how they write songs and deliver their lyrics.
Do you have a label? Where do you see your label in 5 years from today?     

I am currently the proud owner of Fluid Motion Music & Entertainment. In five years I see my label being a major force among independent West Coast Record Labels. Not only will it be home to my music, but the musical stylings of some of the music games biggest and brightest new talent.

What is the best advice you can give to other upcoming rappers/singers?

 Never let anyone else discourage you from following your heart and your dreams. Be yourself and don’t let current trends or peer pressure steer you away from who you are as an artist or as a human being. Never be afraid to push the envelope and do something different from what others are doing and most importantly take control of your own career. Learn the business side so you don’t get cheated in the long run. It’s not enough to just make songs, you need to be able to manage your own career and most importantly manage your money.

What projects are you currently working on?

I have worked on several compilation albums by local Bay Area artists and producers over the past few years as well as a pair of music videos for two street singles I released titled “I Tried” and “Spoiled Rotten” respectively.
I am currently working on my solo album/EP project, “Fluitopia” which will be released later this year on my own label. I am also working on producing a several new music videos and doing some writing for a few friends of mine who are also slated to release projects within the next few months.

When you first get a beat, what do you look for, in terms of sound that leads you to believe it can make a great song?

When I first get a beat, I listen to the bass kick and drums. From there I look for little intricate sounds that help drive the track (claps, cymbals, synths, etc.). If the beats makes me want to start rapping after a few seconds, I know it is a winner. After, the beat is selected, I go through a list of topics I want to address in future songs and decide if any of them fit the feel of the beat. Once I find the right one the rest is history. I would say my style of rapping is a cross between hardcore/gangsta similar to Scarface or Snoop and a smoother more playful style similar to LL Cool J or Q-Tip from A Tribe Called Quest. However there are some people who would describe my style as street, but not quite hardcore gangsta.


Who would you like to collaborate with or who have you enjoyed collaborating with?

In the past I have collaborated with Suga Free, Askari X, Ant Banks, Mistah Fab, The Mekanix, and Casual (of The Hieroglyphics imperium). In the near future I would like to collaborate with E-40, Too Short, DJ Quik, Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock, Redman, Tech N9ne, Devin The Dude, Scarface, Ludacris, and Bun B. just to name a few.

Who are you looking to sign on your label?

I am looking to sign artists that have true talent, and drive, and who can bring something unique to whatever genre of music they enjoy making. As long as they have the drive and work ethic necessary for success they are welcome to be a part of the Fluid Motion Music & Entertainment family.


What do you think about these music reality shows, can a person find stardom on TV?
I used to believe that these music reality shows were rigged and all for show, but after watching them for the last few years, I am beginning to believe that these shows can be an excellent form of exposure for many up and coming artists. I believe that a person can find stardom on TV under the right circumstances, but once that stardom is attained, it’s up to the artist and their label to keep them in the spotlight. Most of these shows can be good launching points for people’s musical careers, but it still takes hard work and perseverance to stay in the game and be successful.


Listen for my singles “I Tried” , produced by J-Steez (Suga Free, Glasses Malone, Etc.) and “Spoiled Rotten”, produced by The Mekanix (J. Stalin, Kaz Kyzah, The Team, D-Lo, etc.)

You can also check out videos for both songs on YouTube.

Stay tuned for my new singles and videos, “Why I Love Music” and “High Definition”, featuring Casual, 4Rax, and Mahasen! www.soundcloud.com/fluid001
www.myspace.com/fluid420
www.reverbnation.com/fluid001
www.soundclick.com/FluidBayArea

YouTube Channel: fluid420

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages